Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pete's Spectrum of Beers

Pete Slosberg, (of Pete's Wicked Ale fame) included this chart in his book. As someone who has been drinking basically only two style of beer for 20 year (Coors/Miller/Corona and Guinness) I found it extremely helpful. Jess and I are going to use it to help us figure out what kind of beer to brew, as well as what kind of beer we actually like. That's right - we've been drinking beer for years, and we have no idea what kind of beer we really like. Weird. Click for a huge version.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool. Two comments though.

One dimension that is not mentioned so much here is "yeast flavor" - in particular the sour aspect of the Belgian lambics.

Another aspect of such charts is that my favorite beers combine both sweetness and hop-bitterness. This is a favorite part of the new (to the market) double IPS brews.

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

Interesting! I guess you would need a 3D chart or something. Although I am aware that different yeast strains produce different flavors, I have not experimented enough (drinking or brewing) to know much about it yet.

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

Also, if I remember correctly, Slosburg primarily used this chart to educate beer retail sellers, such as beer stores and bars, so show them the range of (or rather lack of) beers they were selling.

Can you link me to a double IPS example? I'd like to try it!

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

There is now a chart that included yeast flavor here.