Friday, June 13, 2008

Batch #2 Kegged and a Yeast Wash

We kegged batch #2 Thursday night, a couple of days early but this time we know not to touch it for a while. We had a sample on its way into the keg - tasted good!

We also did our first yeast wash. I used a good yeast strain in this batch (Wyeast American Ale - 1056) so we recovered enough for 4 more batches. It is still mixed up with water in the picture, but the yeast should settle to the bottom.

I'm going to use one of them on the next batch this weekend, but I will definately use a starter - perhaps Tyler's OJ starter - to make sure I didn't screw anything up washing or storing the yeast. If the starter does fail, I can pitch the dry packet that came with the kit.

You can see the keg force-carbing in the picture as well - yum!

No comments: