Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hoppy and Sweet!!

The beer chart below got me to thinking about the big hop / big malt beers that I gravitated towards when I was homebrewing. Of late these beers have become more popular, especially in the "big single bottle of beer" part of our beer stores.

These are beers that offer a bit of both bitterness and sweetness in the same mouthful. The best ones first hit you with malt sweetness and the accompanying flavor of alcohol and then fade into a long dreamy hop flavored bitter finish leaving your mouth as dry as it was before that first quaff. The beers are strong, but not barleywine, knock you on your butt, overblown strong.

It's rarely executed that well though. Many shots across this bow have been made. Several that I think have come close to the mark are:
None of these are as good, of course, as my homebrewed version, but it is good to see that folks at least trying...

3 comments:

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

Thanks for posting Ty! I'm looking forward to trying these out.

Peggy said...

Hmmm.....I'm thinking a keg for the family picnic. Or maybe you should just bring some here for us to taste. Sitting around the pool, drinking home brew...now that's summer!!

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

There are ways of transporting the kegs - Jess and I were just talking about it last night. I'll see if I can get it together before the picnic. I need to up my production too - we're going through it fast!