Monday, June 2, 2008

Batch #1 - The Full Story


Brew Date: May 10, 2008
Recipe: Brewer's Best American Light Kit
3.3 lbs. Plain Light Malt Extract
1 lb. Plain light Dry malt Extract
1 lb. Rice Syrup Solids
1 oz. Sterling Bittering Hops
1/4 oz. Sterling Finishing Hops
1 packet "Beer Yeast"

Notes: I cant remember what kind of hops we actually received with the kit. There was a note from Brewer's Best about the hops shortage and that they may switch out certain hops for a similar type. I also have no idea what kind of yeast it was other than it was Ale.

I cleaned everything (probably not good enough I now realize) and sanitized with One-Step. The boil was without incident and we dumped the wort into my primary (plastic bucket) and topped off with cold water. After 15 minutes or so, we pitched the yeast directly onto the wart. No temperature reading here, just guessing at the temp.

Inside of 12 hours, there was good fermentation going and my blow-off tube (air-locked in a pickle jar full of water) did fine. After a day or so, I switched the blow-off tube for a regular air-lock (again filled with just water). I should have used sanitizer solution in both air-locks. Aric suggested cheap vodka as well.

No secondary.

I did open the primary around day 12 to take a sample. Discovered the hydrometer I had was cracked! Beer had a good flavor and smell.

We kegged on May 28th (18 days). This was earlier than planned due to my over-excitement and a busy weekend approaching. We then force carbed at 40 psi for 24 hours, then 20 psi for 24 hours, then to 7 psi for serving.

First taste: May 30th
Results: Awful! Tasted like sanitizer or cleaning solution. Current theory is that there may have still been sanitizer in the serving line or keg and we were tasting that because...

Second taste: May 31st
Results: Still bad, but much better. Weird taste fading away.

Third taste: June 1st
Results: Good. I drank 5 over the course of the day, a friend and Jess each had a couple.

Currently: Beer is mellowing nicely and tastes a little better each day. I think we kegged too early. Will wait at least a solid 3 weeks, if not longer, next time before kegging. There is a slight 'twang' that I think indicates I need to get better with sanitation or something. It could also just be 'green' beer - I'm not experienced enough to tell yet. The beer is cloudy, but I think this is expected as I used no methods to try to clear it. The beer is a tad bitter for me and too bitter for Jess. I'm not sure if this is the recipe, or a result of my brewing.


Lessons Learned:
  • I need to get better at the "Sanitation Dance" - having the right things sanitized just as I need them, etc.
  • Cleaning kegs uses a LOT of water.
  • Take better notes.
  • Don't rush.
  • Don't panic!

No comments: