Saturday, June 21, 2008

Good Lord What Is Happening Around Here?!

What a day.

#1: If you're paying attention, you know that tomorrow is supposed to be drinking day for batch #2. It's not going to be though because we ALREADY DRANK IT ALL OMGWTF! We have no self control around here. Once again, heading for the pool this afternoon, we blew the keg. The worst part is that today, for the first time, it was delicious instead of just so-so. So once again, we are without homebrew. Oh the huge manatee!

#2: Realizing that we need to brew every weekend if we are ever going to build up a backlog, I ran to the LHBS to buy ingredients. Once I got back, I prepared to make Tyler's OJ Starter only to realize we had no OJ. We did have lemonade though, and that's got citric acid and sugar so that should work right? WRONG. Do not use lemonade ever. So now the batch is done and I'm ready to pitch and there is no activity in the starter bottle and OH NO I THINK ALL MY YEAST ARE DEAD AT THE BOTTOM OH CRAP! I'm boned, except...

#3: I've got a wheat beer pretty much done fermenting in the basement (batch #4). I cleaned and sanitized a keg and racked batch #4 to it with the intent of letting it secondary at room temp in the keg. After that, I poured my new yeast-less wort on to the batch #4 yeast cake. I hear this is fine to do, especially if both batches are the same kind of beer so all should be fine. It was a bunch of extra work that I was not planning on doing tonight. I started brewing around 6pm and just finished at 10:30. I'm exhausted.

I'll be brewing again on Monday. Wheeeee!

Thanks to Aric for the advice on how to treat a keg as a secondary.

Edit: At 11:15 pm (a few minutes after posting this) I went out to the kitchen to get a drink and yes my starter is active. Maybe lemonade does work after all. I'll use it in Monday's batch.

Edit #2: This morning, there is still very little activity in the starter. I would advise against lemonade. On the upside, the batch is fermenting like a mad man.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I don't know anything about brewing, but I am having so much fun reading this!