Thursday, June 5, 2008

Batch #1 - AWESOME.

We've been drinking it all week and I love it. Jess likes it, but wishes it was less bitter. I believe this is because the beer she is used to is around 8 IBU and this is, according to the recipe, 15 IBU. These are low numbers compared to most homebrews or even most "real" beers, but when you double your bitterness, you're going to notice. I have a feeling her tastes will change, as will mine, as we go down this road.

We're going to brew this kit again this weekend. I'm going to keep everything the same except for two things: I'm going to cool the wort down in an ice bath before it goes in to the primary, and I'm going to add some Irish Moss to try to clear the final product. I'll be interested to note the differences from the first batch and ponder what it all means.

All in all, my first batch of homebrew was a great success and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. If any of my friends want some, they better hurry - the keg is getting light...

1 comment:

Kate said...

Sean, what are IUBs? I want a taste this week!
Love MOM