Friday, November 28, 2008

The Secret Recipe Is...

British East India Trading CompanyUncle Tyler's
Reddy's I.P.A.


This recipe belongs to my Uncle Ty who, years ago, gave a copy to my mother in a letter (yes - a snail mail letter). She held on to the letter for a long time and recently passed it on to me.

This is a true India Pale Ale that is both hoppy and malty. In the early 1800s, I.P.A.s were 'amped up' pale ales that contained more alcohol and hops (both natural preservatives) so that the beer could survive the long trips by ship from England to the colonies in India.

Highlights of this recipe include over 4 ounces of hops (in a 5 gallon batch) and Oak wood chips in the primary and secondary to impart that barrel-aged taste.

Ty's letter to my mother states that this recipe was originally brewed on March 3, 1989 - almost 20 years ago! It was brewed for a friend named Reddy who was from India and missed the strong beers from home. These were the days before the microbrewery explosion in the U.S. and finding anything other than Bud/Miller/Coors was nearly impossible, so Ty created this beer to fill the gap.

I will see my Uncle Ty over Thanksgiving weekend and I hope this batch of beer will be a nice surprise for him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sean this beer brought back so many memories!! It also tasted just like my beers and I think the mouth feel was better (better yeast?). I stacked the twelve bottles we hauled home very carefully in the beer cellar here and am intent on sharing these especially with Mark who was also fond of this recipe.

Thanks a ton for this great Thanksgiving surprise!

Sean, Jess , Mia and Zoe said...

Thanks Ty. It is a great recipe! I took a growler of it to the FOAM meeting on Monday and it went over very well. I plan on converting the recipe to A.G. and trying it again once we have our ducks in a row.